Why Maternal Uncles Often Have Closer

My maternal uncle's house held a special place in my childhood memories. Nestled in the town of Jeonui, beyond the Gaemi Pass, it was a haven of warmth and affection. A large stream meandered through the town, and a majestic tree stood sentinel at the entrance, its branches providing a canopy for the vibrant village festivals.

As dusk settled, the aroma of freshly cooked rice wafted from the chimneys of each house along the winding path leading to my grandmother's home, mingling with the anticipation of the evening meal.

My maternal uncle, a man of boundless love and kindness, showered my siblings and me with his affection. I vividly recall him hitching us onto the back of his bicycle, embarking on joyful rides along the stream's edge. Along the way, he would pause, pluck delicate flower petals, and offer them to us as edible treats, a revelation that expanded my culinary horizons.

His occasional visits to our home in Suwon, however, were met with a sense of unease by my father. I gathered that he would seek favors from my father, casting a shadow over their interactions.

I often ponder why my memories of my maternal uncle are so much more vivid and cherished than those of my paternal uncle. This reflection led me to a fascinating passage in Choi Jung-gyun's book "The Gene Dominated Society":

"Maternal grandparents tend to be more generous and affectionate towards their grandchildren compared to paternal grandparents. This inclination stems from the inherent certainty of biological lineage."

The act of childbirth is solely borne by women, leaving no ambiguity regarding the identity of the mother. However, the father's role can sometimes be uncertain, shrouded in doubt.

As a result, paternal grandparents may harbor doubts about the biological connection with their grandchildren, a question that does not arise for maternal grandparents.

This genetic certainty, according to the author, forms the foundation of the stronger bond often observed between children and their maternal families. Supporting this notion, studies have shown that grandmothers tend to be the most generous providers of allowances to their grandchildren.

In the context of marriage, when the husband predeceases his wife, he typically bequeaths his assets to her. However, statistics reveal that wives are more inclined to distribute their wealth among their children rather than their husbands.

While this disposition might seem unfair to the deceased husband, it aligns with evolutionary instincts. The husband, with the potential to father children with other women, triggers the maternal instinct in his wife to safeguard her biological offspring.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing Gyeonggi Techno Park

Have a Dream!

It must be ethical